The energy we exhale into the world will quickly become the air we breathe. If we always focus on what’s wrong in our lives, on what’s wrong in others, on what’s wrong with the world, life will always seem drained of good and hope, because it’s all we’ll ever notice. But if we believe in ourselves and root for others, if we love ourselves and treat others well, the world will look abundant and generous. Be mindful of the energies you send out into the world, because the one most likely to suffer from it is yourself. Look at life with positivity, and you life will instantly be transformed.
(Image: We Heart It)
What goes around comes around. What we put out into the world, we receive in return. If we open our arms to the world, the world will come to us. If we approach life with positivity, good things will happen. If we treat others with kindness and respect, it makes its way back to us too. The simplest of things go a long way.
It’s so easy to forget how much we can change someone’s day in one interaction. No matter what our relationship with the other person is and no matter what type of environment we find ourselves in, our energy and our actions do make a mark. I’ve seen coffee shop baristas pick out the best cookie for their customer. I’ve heard enthusiastic train conductors wishing everyone a pleasant day. I’ve seen a shop assistants help carry a mother struggling with her pram up the stairs. I’ve heard of people anonymously paying for others’ meals at restaurants. And there’s so many more similar interactions that are so small but make a huge difference. Energy is infectious – when you make someone feel good, they’ll want to do the same for others. Good vibes all around are down to each of us believing it’s up to us.
As much as we’re affected, moulded, and influenced by those around us, we also have the same effect on others. So we all have a responsibility to do so positively and unconditionally. The smallest of words or actions can boost someone’s self-love or pick up someone’s mood. We can encourage someone to pursue their aspiration or inspire someone to aim higher. We can empower others to take control of their lives by relinquishing ours over them. Be an example. Be a catalyst. And bring out the best in others. They might be the leader, innovator, and partner of tomorrow.
Five questions we should ask ourselves everyday
- What do I want to accomplish today? (Did I accomplish what I wanted to?) – Starting each day with intention, however small, sparks our desire to have a good day. Everything worth having will require work, so taking a few steps everyday towards our dreams or goals will make all the difference.
- What would make today great? (What made today great?) – Starting each day with a positive mind injects positivity into everything we touch, whether that be other people or what we do. Consciously thinking about what would make us happy pushes us to find those things that make us happy. At the end of the day, we might find something completely unexpected made our day great. And that’s because a positive mind invites good vibes, which invites good things.
- What am I grateful for today? – Starting each day with a full heart reminds us of how lucky we are, especially during times when we feel like everything is against us. Gratitude brings perspective to what really matters.
- Have I expressed my love to my family and friends? – It’s simple: a day shouldn’t go by without expressing our love to our loved ones. Even just a phone call or an ‘I love you’ will suffice. Too often, we take love for granted. But really, it’s the only thing that counts.
- What would make tomorrow better? (What did I learn today?) – We’re not perfect, and that’s ok. Sometimes we make mistakes. Whether we had a great day or a bad day, there’s always something we can take with us from today in our efforts to be better tomorrow.
Sharing our happiness with the world is so simple. It is easily spread through a smile and a kind gesture. It is contagious whenever someone shares their passions and dreams. It is offered to another when we lend a hand or an ear. Our happiness isn’t devalued or diminished as a result. It only brings more happiness into the world. Then next time we need a lift, hopefully it’s right around the corner. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.